Software projects/OS/Slackware/Advanced usage/Rootkit scanners
From Pandora Wiki
What is a rootkit ?
- Check the Wikipedia definition here.
How to scan them ?
- I ship two tools for this purpose: chkrootkit and rkhunter.
- Their utilization is pretty simple, and i'll let you read their man pages.
Something to know
- It's a pretty bad idea to run a self-test on a machine, because if it's already compromised, embedded security tools may also have been hacked.
- The best option is to check the target drive (the suspicious one) on a clean machine. This target drive SHOULD be mounted as read-only.
The Pandora way
- So to check a SD card, or a USB drive, don't use Xfce, as it will automount as read-write the target drive.
- During a scan, you will likely encounter false positives (false warnings). This can be harmless. Don't blindly stress, keep cool, and analyze the results.